I have retired. The old domain jdl.co.uk now belongs to someone else .
My book site did not disappear however, so if you found yourself here while looking for book support, it's here at www.johndeacon.net
JDL was a trading name of John Deacon. I provided IT and security services.
I specialized in training
and consulting in object-oriented and
distributed technologies for over 25 years with an aim of:
- successfully mastering and adopting object technology;
- mastering software engineering methods, notations and CASE tools such that they serve a project, rather than intrude upon or end up dominating a project;
- choosing an implementation language and infrastructure -- my
usual list of candidates being Java, Smalltalk, C++ and CORBA;
- understanding and working with the strengths, weaknesses and
dangers of the chosen technologies;
- solidly establishing the considerations, techniques and forces
that drive object design;
- establishing the distribution strategy (including the possibility
of no distribution at all);
- achieving location, language and operating system transparency
with Enterprise Java (J2EE), CORBA or CORBA/DCOM bridging, as
- establishing the strategy and tactics for achieving any required
I worked with all manner of systems. Much of my work was with the high-energy physics, astronomy and Grid computing
communities. Starting in 1993 I was involved with several high-energy physics
organizations – principally CERN (Geneva/Meyrin), Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
(Didcot) and DESY (Hamburg). I also worked with NIKHEF and INFN.
I also worked with people from space, astronomy and GRID computing.
As well as at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, I delivered such courses at The Royal Observatory (Edinburgh)
and Isaac Newton Group (La Palma).
I was one of the founders of Matrice
(formerly Lattice Limited), through which we delivered training for businesses.
Information about matters other than training and mentoring, including
Analysis and Design), book support and resources (such as a UML guide), is here at www.johndeacon.net
[ Training | Consulting | Contact Details |
Briefings | Downloads | Site Map ]